ARASA seeks to appoint an experienced, well-networked and passionate activist leader to fill the position of Director, and drive the organisation forward as we enter an exciting new strategic phase. The individual will be responsible for developing and guiding ARASA’s strategic vision, and will oversee internal and external processes to operationalise our Strategic Plan to fulfil our mandate. They will lead fundraising efforts and be the main spokesperson for ARASA, representing ARASA in high-level strategic spaces at national, regional and international levels. The individual will be responsible for managing a senior management team (SMT), as well as developing and implementing a long-term funding model. See application details and job description below:
Interested and qualified candidates who match the profile are invited to submit the following to the Chair of the Board of Trustees at firstname.lastname@example.org
- their CV with at least 3 cited and contactable referees from different sectors;
- a letter of interest, no longer than 1 page in single spaced Arial font size 11; and
- a sample of recent (in the past year) advocacy-related writing.
The closing date for applications is by 11.59pm (CAT) on Friday, 18 February 2022. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ARASA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage indigenous African women, people living with HIV, marginalised groups and people with disabilities to apply.
They will work with team members based in Windhoek, Cape Town, Johannesburg, Harare and Kampala, and report to ARASA’s Board of Trustees.
Individuals who are based in east and southern Africa are encouraged to apply. If the individual is not based in Namibia, there is an expectation that they would be ready and available to travel there regularly and as and when the need arises.
Key areas of responsibility will include:
Strategic direction and oversight
- Supporting ARASA’s Board of Trustees in their governance role by providing accurate and timely information, as Secretariat, and as Ex Officio member.
- Developing the organisation’s strategic vision and, on a three-to-five year basis, a strategic plan for the organisation and leading its implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Oversee the development and submission of an annual workplan and budget for the Board’s approval.
- Providing effective leadership of the work of the SMT to ensure that the programmatic and operational objectives of the organisation are being achieved.
- Coordinating and convening ARASA partnerships.
- Maintaining close contact with ARASA partners and continually assessing their strategic needs in relation to ARASA’s mandate, including managing and supporting healthy partnership dynamics.
- Identifying strategic opportunities for partnership, and ensuring that partnerships remain fit for purpose in line with the evolving external environment.
- Ensuring sound financial management practices with particular attention to audit preparedness and management.
- Overseeing the development of budgets and tracking expenditure, including ensuring grant compliance.
Sustainability and resource mobilisation
- Developing and implementing a long-term funding model, resource mobilisation strategies and a sustainability plan aimed at ensuring that ARASA has the resources necessary to support its goals and objectives.
- Leading fundraising efforts to ensure that ARASA’s budget is fully funded.
- Maintaining a good relationship and liaising with existing and potential donors.
Human resources (HR) oversight & people management
- Ensuring that HR policies and procedures are in compliance with existing labour laws and are enforced.
- Ensuring the hiring and retention of competent and qualified staff, and ensuring staff development, mentoring and motivation mechanisms are in place as required.
- Strengthening an organisational culture that promotes commitment, accountability, transparency, professionalism, dependability, compassion, technical competency, learning, and serves to protect and promote human rights.
- Overseeing the recruitment, selection and orientation of members of SMT and other positions as needed.
- Motivating and nurturing a diverse and effective team to deliver on ARASA’s strategic plan and programmes.
We are looking for a strategic and critical thinker with strong leadership and management skills; ideally gained in a complex and multi-sectoral stakeholder setting. They will have a background in human rights and sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) policy advocacy, and a proven track record in motivating and supporting a team of passionate and committed activist and civil society partners to impact positively on health and rights. Fluency in English is a prerequisite and knowledge of French, Portuguese or Kiswahili is desirable. They should have a passion for coaching and mentoring staff, creating opportunities for learning, development and leadership, with a focus on harnessing skills for the professional development of team members.
The ideal candidate will have a postgraduate degree in law, human rights, public health, gender studies, business administration, management practice or a related field from a recognised tertiary educational institution.
- At least 10 years’ experience of progressive responsibility in the non-profit sector.
- Significant experience in influencing human rights, SRHR policies and laws; advancing gender equality, SRHR and the HIV response through strategic programming, preferably in east and southern Africa.
- Successful track record of managing and sustaining multi-sectoral and diverse partnerships and alliances, within complex settings.
- Significant experience in resource mobilisation and donor liaison, financial management for NGOs and people management.
- Knowledge of donor and funding requirements, and ability to monitor and ensure compliance with donor requirements.
- Strong ability to lead legal, policy and advocacy work.
- Proven track record in social change campaigns and communications.
- Proven ability to interpret budgets and financial statements and the ability to use this information to contribute to strategic decision-making.
- Ability to delegate tasks and responsibilities and follow up regularly.
- Strong problem-solving, crisis and change management skills.
- Strong external communications, networking and public speaking ability.
- Research, writing, application and thought leadership.
- Ability to lead a complex multi-directional partnership.
Personal qualities required
- Strong ability to apply value-based leadership styles and steer an effective and creative team, through complex and strained settings and environments, to deliver and realise strategic commitments.
- Deep commitment to ARASA’s values of transparency, honesty, integrity, accountability, zero tolerance for corruption, non-discrimination, justice, consultation, inclusiveness and excellence in service delivery.
- Deep commitment to the full realisation of SRHR for women, adolescent girls and young women, women and other marginalised populations.
- Integrity and a demonstrated ability to stand against oppression and other organised forms of power in defense of principles and those most marginalised.
- Passionate with a strong ability to inspire and motivate teams, and applies empathy and emotional intelligence.
- Confident, assertive communicator who can work comfortably with diverse groups of people and across all levels.
- Driven with a strong ability to prioritise and manage deadlines.
- Strong networking skills and the ability to identify and pursue new opportunities.
- Self-aware, reflective and open to learning.
ARASA offers an attractive remuneration package, commensurate with experience and expertise. When the COVID-19 situation has stabilised, the successful candidate must be able to travel extensively.
A very good opportunity to me, my working experiences is going a long with what is expected but I am yet to qualify in Lifelong Learning and Community Education with University of Namibia.
Quite Interesting, I am interested in the above mentioned Post, I have been working for 27 years, Marketing, Networking in all the 14 Regions.
I wish to apply
Am Susanna from Namibia …I wish to apply am good inn flied work for more four year experience now am a case manager for two years prevention for HIV and treatment for AIDS …