ARASA Regional Communications and Documentations Officer
Vacancy: Regional Communications and Documentation Officer
Established in 2003, the AIDS and Rights Alliance for Southern Africa (ARASA) is a regional partnership of over 100 non-governmental organisations working together to promote a human rights-based response to HIV and TB in 18 countries in Southern and East Africa through capacity strengthening and advocacy. The Regional Office of ARASA is located in Windhoek, Namibia.
ARASA seeks to appoint a committed and innovative individual to fill the position of Communications Officer. The location of the post is in Windhoek, Namibia. Working with teams based in various Southern and East Africa regions and reporting to the Head of Programme Quality and Funding (HPQF), the suitable candidate will assume responsibility for all information and communication needs at ARASA.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Update and implement an information and communication strategy in consultation with the HPQF and other ARASA team members;
- Write reports and prepare various types of documentation that is accessible to relevant target groups (in English) and co-ordinate translation into other languages as necessary;
- Raise and maintain the profile of ARASA through different outlets, including the traditional media as well as through social media such as Facebook and Twitter;
- Develop creative ways to document the progress of ARASA programmes through, for example, photographs, art and case studies;
- Solicit contributions to and write, edit, design and distribute the ARASA quarterly newsletter;
- Assist in the production of advocacy and capacity building communication materials and develop and implement appropriate media strategies for the dissemination and publication of these materials;
- Co-ordinate the collection and cataloguing of material published by ARASA partners and facilitate the sharing of this information amongst ARASA partners;
- Upgrade and update the ARASA website on an ongoing basis;
- Assist with the regular updating and maintenance of ARASA’s online training facility;
- Ensure that ARASA’s publications are of high quality and are disseminated appropriately;
- Assist with the preparation of programme and other reports;
- Explore and share good practices in information and communication processes within ARASA and with ARASA partners;
- Liaise with the media to profile ARASA;
- Write and circulate press releases and undertake media advocacy where appropriate and support ARASA partners to do the same where necessary; and
- Assist in capacity building on information and communication for ARASA team members and ARASA partners.
The ideal candidate will have a degree in Media Studies, Communication or Public Relations. In addition, the candidate will have at two two years’ experience in development communication and information management and strong experience in the management of relationships with media representatives, government officials, community groups and civil society organisations in the SADC region and will have proven skills and experience in the writing of press releases and articles for traditional, electronic and social media. Previous work experience in the field of HIV, TB and human rights in the region will be an advantage.
The candidate must have advanced computer literacy and desktop publishing skills and experience in the management of websites. Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a team are essential. Excellent verbal and written communication, research and analytical skills are required. Fluency in English is a prerequisite and knowledge of Portuguese or French is an added advantage.
ARASA offers an attractive remuneration package, commensurate with experience. Interested and qualified candidates who match the profile are invited to submit their CV and letter of interest, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “Regional Communications and Documentation Officer” in the subject line.
Closing date for applications is midnight (SAST) on the 15th of January 2023.
Incomplete applications or those submitted after the closing date will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.